No. 34105 Swanage was one of the final West Country Class locomotives to be constructed at Brighton Works, in March 1950.
It was never to carry any Southern Railway numbers or emblems because of its existence under British Railways. Swanage would be allocated to just two depots in its 14-year operational life – firstly at Bournemouth and finally at Eastleigh. Its final withdrawal in October 1964 resulted in the locomotive being hauled dead to Barry four months later.
Fortunately, a group of members from the Mid-Hants Railway were able to purchase the engine and return it to southern territory at Alresford in 1978. A nine-year restoration period followed at Ropley and Swanage was rededicated again in steam in October 1987 for use on the MHR.
Following many years service, which included a spectacular visit to the Swanage Railway which saw a double-headed train with their original Pacific No. 34072 257 Squadron, No. 34105 was withdrawn for a major overhaul.
This programme follows its use at the Mid-Hants Railway, Swanage Railway and Great Central Railway.
DVD 43 minutes duration