Taw Valley was one of 18 Bulleid light pacifics to escape from Dai Woodham’s scrapyard some 40 years ago.
Built in April 1946, a year after VE day, No. 34027 was only in regular use for under 20 years starting out in the south east at Ramsgate shed and after various other allocations, finishing its service on BR at Salisbury in 1964.
After languishing at Barry until 1980, Taw Valley was purchased and initially taken to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway for restoration followed by a spell at the Severn Valley Railway where it was completed ready for main line use. From 1989 until 2005, Taw Valley was to be seen all over Britain’s main lines from its base at the SVR. Following its major overhaul and return to service in 2015, it was decided to restrict the locomotive to just branch line use and so Taw Valley is to be enjoyed at the Severn Valley Railway for all to enjoy.
DVD – 50 minutes duration